Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My Fall Mantel

There's this crazy thing about blogging that makes you feel like you need to change the mantel every season.  If you have been around longer than a month, and if you read other blogs, you have probably noticed that I am the last one to change the mantel each season.  It's just never been high on my priority list.  I did make a few changes to the mantel though in keeping with my neutral vibe that's been going on and in keeping with the season.


My dad was probably the craftiest person I knew.  If he was curious about something, he would sign up for a class or read a book and teach himself.  One of his many interests was pottery.  The piece on the left is one of his.  I love seeing it there first thing when I walk through the room.  The piece on the right came from the antique show in Hillsville, VA.  Have any of you been?

I've been waiting for a sunny day to take pictures, but it continues to be a cozy, overcast day.  I may change this picture out when the sun shines again.  Many more gray days and we are all going to need a happy lamp.


We stopped by our favorite strawberry farm who also has a pumpkin farm over the weekend and picked up a few of these wonderful little white pumpkins.  We also added to the pumpkins on our front porch which I shared on instagram (cottageandvine) a while back.

I'm really jazzed about this new color scheme in the family room and look forward to sharing more at the after party.  The lamps arrived the other day and look great.  Can't wait to show you!

Gotta go. 


14 comments :

  1. Glad to see I'm not the only one! I feel so much pressure as a new blogger to do this but alas it still hasn't happened. I like the simple route you've chosen and might do the same thing:)
    Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pottery....it has been gray here also....I know you have been making some changes and I for one can't wait to see!!!
    As far as mantels go I only change 2 x's a year. It is just too much trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you- still adding/changing things to my mantel. You are not alone! :) I actually just posted that I will share mine later this week. Pressure is on to get it finished. :) I love what you have done. White pumpkins are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, blogging definitely makes us think more seasonally when it comes to our homes! :) i love your natural simplicity- just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness I don't have a mantle ;) But seeing all of the mantles in blogland makes me want one in our next house (wish list). I keep learning more about you and seeing how much we have in common - I've always been really into ceramics. I don't know if it came from my Mom or what, but I'm always checking out new pottery vendors at art shows and checking out what new piece I can find (or taking pieces from my Mom). It's nice that you have that piece that your Dad made. It's been overcast here as well - hoping for a little sun at the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the simplicity of your pretty fall mantel Rene, and how nice that your dad made one of the pieces...very special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your edited rustic look, so calm and refreshing! Make that two who can't wait to see what you've been up to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh lordy, ain't that the truth.
    I missed all the early parties this year because I wanted to move into fall organically....based on what the weather outside my window was doing. Not because blogland told me fall was here and I had better be decorated and ready for it.
    So much less stressful that way!
    I did finally do a post with some fall decor, mantle included, with a few Halloween touches for the kiddos.
    Felt good to do it on my own time.
    Yours looks great. I love that you have a piece of your dad's, front and center. I moved a piece of brown pottery that belonged to my dad (not handmade like yours) onto one of our bookshelves in the living room, and I too love seeing it every day. Pieces that have meaning are just that much more beautiful, aren't they?
    I don't always have/make time to comment, but I look forward to your posts every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love the simplicity of the mantel! The urn is beautiful!

    I do have to ask, though: Can you tell me about the water colors you have over the little table when looking at the side view of the mantel? They look familiar to me...who is the artist? Are they matted? Thanks!

    Lauralee >^.^<

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauralee, they are by the French artist Maurice Legendre of the 1920's. They are still in the original frames and are not matted. I hope this helps.

    René

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I have a few by William McK Spierer that are more "Americana" in nature, but from the distance looked similar.

    Again, lovely mantle!

    Lauralee >^.^<

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will take a simple beautiful mantel any day! Love the white pumpkins with the texture of the pottery.

    -Lane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just found your blog and I love your decor style. Beautiful!
    Looking forward to discovering more on your site.
    Love your mantel!
    My daughter and I just started a blog, check us out at
    roseleablog.com
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read each and every one. Your questions will be answered here or you can email me at cottageandvine@triad.rr.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FALL REFRESH